Thursday, September 22, 2011

Serving the Lord

I had to write a little bit today about missionary service.  It seriously has been so amazing to serve the Lord this past year and a half. I can't believe how quickly the time has flown and lately I've been very contemplative about the whole experience.  So some of you might ask why would a twenty one year old leave her school, family, and work behind to go somewhere foreign and talk to complete strangers? yeah I guess when you say it that way it seems odd.  But there is an answer.  Fifty three thousand of us missionaries leave for 18 to 24 months so that we can share with others the truths that have brought us so much joy. But I don't want to talk about missionaries in such a general term.  Today I want to tell you why I came here to serve the Lord for eighteen months.  I came at first so that I could give something back to God.  He has blessed me with so many things; a family, the blessings of the Restored Gospel, an education, good health, and countless other things.  Once I got here I realized that as much as I wanted to give back it was really the Lord who would end up giving me more than I had when I first came out.  I won't lie it is a hard transition. You go from being a selfish college student where everything is about me me me, to a place where everything is about them.  I mean it is how Christ was, wasn't it? He cared so much more about others than himself.  He gave his life for all mankind.  So I came to find that it was a joy just to give these few months of my life to the people in New York. Sometimes I wanted to think about me and I usually got a big slice of humble pie, when I did.  But after that I realized that I needed to have more than just a desire to be here but a testimony.

A testimony is a spiritual witness given by the Holy Ghost.  I needed that.  Of course I had all these great experience before my mission that grew my testimony.  But I needed a sure witness that what I was teaching was true. It didn't all come at once but my testimony is a build up of countless experiences and now I know without a shadow of doubt that this church is true! I'm so extremely grateful to have come.  Because not only have I gained numerous friends, and incredible experiences, but I have a testimony.  A gift that is fragile but very significant.  It is amazing to see what someone can do with a testimony! Even serve a mission... Kudos to anyone who can do it. Seriously hardest thing I've ever done, but it has been incredible!  Looking back I can't thank my Father in Heaven for allowing me to come here to serve a mission. It has changed who I am and what I'll be the rest of my life.  I will never forsake my Father in Heaven who has given me so much! I owe Him everything.

"..he doth require that ye should do as he hath commanded you; for which if ye do, he doth immediately bless you; and therefore he hath paid you. And ye are still indebted unto him, and are, and will be, forever and ever..." (Mosiah 2:24)

No comments:

Post a Comment