Saturday, June 4, 2011

Valiant

"To be valiant in the testimony of Jesus is to take the Lord's side on every issue... It is to think what He thinks, to believe what He believes, to say what He would say and do what He would do."
-Bruce R. McConkie

I wanted to write a little today about being Valiant... what does it mean to you to be valiant?! I think that it depends on the context, but today I wanted to talk about benig Valiant in our testimony of Jesus Christ. I guess a good question to ask ourself is what would Jesus do? Then are we doing what He would do? I want to be known for the light of Christ that I have in my eyes.  We were walking into an apartment building one day and this lady kind of stared at us for a while.  Of course I knew that we stuck out, wearing a skirt with a backpack and we have a black name tag and all. Well she came up to us and said 'Are you church ladies?' We told her that we were and in passing she said 'I knew you were Christian when I saw you walking up.' Then she left.  That was something so small, but I was grateful for it. 
I hope that everyone I come in contact with, knows that I follow Christ.  But being valiant in our testimony of Jesus is more than just appearing as if we follow Him.  We really have to act as he would, we have to have courage to be valiant.  There is a scripture in the Book of Mormon about young men that were going off to battle, they were young but wanted to serve their people.  They had a lot of courage to do what they did. This scripture in Alma describes them:
"...and they were exceedingly valiant for acourage, and also for strength and activity; but behold, this was not all—they were men who were true at all times in whatsoever thing they were entrusted.
 Yea, they were men of truth and asoberness, for they had been taught to keep the commandments of God and to bwalk uprightly before him."
Would if everyone you met was like this.  They were true at all times and walked uprightly before God.  I think that would take a lot of courage.  Especially in this world where it isn't popular to be righteous or to be truthful.  So I pray that all of you can be valiant in your testimony of Jesus. I'd love to hear some stories of times when you've seen others or yourself be valiant in their testimony of Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. Everyone on the face of this earth should strive to have this light shine from within them. Even just having us all strive to be valiant would change the world. Loved this post!

    ReplyDelete